Here we are in Prague. I'm sitting in Joscelyn's bed at the Hotel Expo because I'm feeling a little krank (sick). I'm not really sure what is wrong with me but I just feel not good. Maybe the idea of going outside in scary Prague is what is turning my stomach.
My ipod broke. I cried. Right now I'm borrowing one of my German roommate's mp3 players. I opted to not change any of the music, so while it isn't necessarily what I might choose, it's sort of like listening to a mix radio station...on repeat. Actually, I find it rather bizarre that Europeans listen to so much American music. To be in a foreign country, surrounded by a foreign language and then hearing TLC's "Waterfalls" is just comedic.
So Prague is cold. I saw the weather today and Moscow is currently warmer than Prague. The city is pretty, yes, but it's also packed with tourists and sort of...sterile? I'm not sure if that is the best word to use but it is what comes to mind. You can pick out the eastern Europeans: they're the ones with the disappointed looks on their faces. I can't imagine having grown up under communism. We visited the Terezin ghetto/concentration camp yesterday. It was still ... very very still. Lana and I looked around for a place to eat for about ten minutes and the best thing we found was a corner store that sold cigarettes, beer and some sort of fried-potato-chip-thing. It really felt like a ghost town. Communism only fell a little over a decade ago, I just guess I would've thought things would've developed faster. Although, there is no shortage of McDonald's and KFCs. I think the amount of McDonald's here is comparable to the number of Starbucks in the US. Either way, we leave for Dresden in the morning and I couldn't be more thrilled. If I see another teenaged-Italian wearing sunglasses and a fur-trimmed coat I may vomit all over the front of my L.L. Bean downvest. You really can pick out where people are from by what they are wearing or the expression on their face. The French & Italian always look bored.... the Americans confused....the Spaniards have mullets and the Germans are likely staring at you with a curious intensity.
I can't think of much else to share right now. Joscelyn and Laura just got back with some food for my ailing body. So I'm gonna rail on that now. Lazers nubs
20 March 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Your description of the tourists is spot on. Spot on.
Did you see that Italian tourist at the Prague Castle wearing the Michigan, United States jacket? That made my day because it was so ridiculous....
Jos
Hey Peanut, you crack me up with your zany wit... Not gonna try the Texas Mac eh--so gross!! I sent you the long underwear via Mater and Pater ?? hope it gets to you. TTYS Love, Sal
when did you become so clever, mein liepschen? (i'm a baaaad german speller)
Post a Comment