02 September 2008

Sunny, hot

I'm in Austin, still, and that's okay. It's hot and sunny and everything Austin is supposed to be in the summertime. Things don't really start to become any kind of cool until the end of October...and even then, it's iffy.

The first thing I do when I wake up is check the news. It's good to know the storm is passed without major catastrophe for New Orleans. We don't know what's happened to our house, but I can't imagine it is anything terrible. I'm not sighing with relief yet, but I'm certainly feeling a lot less "dooms day"-ish. I hate how influenced by media scare tactics I can be. But, to be fair to myself (which I like to try to be) I've never experienced anything like an evacuation before and it's not a normal thing to have to do.

This last thought being said, I continue to struggle with my feelings. I obviously can't take the situation lightly, however! considering my minimal investments in the city (time wise and "property" wise) I feel less justified in my feelings of ... well, anything. I'm having a hard time putting this into words. I guess, mostly, I just think I shouldn't be so "dramatic" about it all because I wouldn't really be losing anything had something happened. My home isn't New Orleans. I'm not living in a hotel right now. I'm not being TRULY displaced. I'm just having to go home to Mom and Dad. Wah wah, boo hoo. See what I mean? Maybe not. I haven't said anything.

ANYWAY, I'm in Austin with nothing to do, not so much with where to go. I took my laundry basket out of the trunk of my car this morning and a gecko came out. Mixed feelings: I saved a gecko from a hurricane! and disgusting...there was a gecko in my f'ing sheets. I've been spending a good amount of time with my family, which is welcome. You forget how funny your family is when you only talk on the phone. Mom made a ton of food on Saturday night for the Texas Football game. This she does always and as always it was delicious and too much. I had to bring a bag of cookies and brownies over to Jon and Tyler's the next day to deal with the excess. I also haven't been eating so vegan in the past couple of days. Kind of hard to not eat what Mom puts in front of you.......

SO that's it. I'm just trying to think of things to do. New Orleans didn't seem so small until coming back here. From my sisters' house it's hard to go anywhere without having to get on a high way. The streets are smoother, though...and people sort of use more turn signals. ANYWAY, I'm going to go pretend I have something important to do.

K.I.T.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the funniest person that I know, Peanut.

maggie c. said...

um. where's the part about me.

Kleine said...

you're right, maggie, i'd be losing a lot of people i've grown Quite fond of. I'd just convince you all to move to Austin.