It's Monday morning which means it's time for a new update. Also, I have a lot of work to do...so that means update.
Per usual, since the last time I've written, I've had a new thought (sometimes two). My thoughts, as of late, reflect on why I think studying abroad in Germany is so much different than any other place in Europe. I think I could guarantee myself wrong on this (take note: this is probably the one time in my life you will ever see me claim that) but I think everyone who studies abroad surely feels the same way. But since I'm on the downslope now, practically a month a way from leaving, I can't imagine not coming back. This hasn't been a "getitallinmywhileyoucancuzyouwillneverbebackhere" sort of six months. Since being here, I haven't really felt the push to see everything there is to see because I know that I'll be coming back eventually. And I guess what my point is, is that I think that other people don't have that same experience. And this probably is speaking fairly specifically to where I live, literally, because this "dormitory/cooperative" living arrangement breeds relationships that aren't so temporary, I think. So anyway, that's all I have to say about that. Now, what I love about Germany:
1)Drink/Food
This is so obvious it has to be at the top of the list. At first, German food was stressful. It really was! It always felt like I was playing a game of roulette. You never knew when you might end up with a sack of gelatin. But now that my vocabulary has expanded and I know that when I have questions, I should ask because I find that you can end up with some very delicious dishes. A few of my favorites include spaetzle and knodel. And BEER! Oh sweet sweet nectar of life, I'm going to miss you. Not to say I'm an alcoholic, but who can turn down a ,5 liter bottle that costs less than a euro. That's just a deal.
2)Chocolate
I feel like this obviously deserves its own category. Even though all the good German chocolate is sold in the US too, it's 4 times the price and the label is in English. The German label is half the fun. I think I'll miss sharing the Ritter Sport squares with Lana the most.
3)TV
Oh glorious, ridiculous, German TV. It really kills me the way everything is dubbed in this country. When we went to Amsterdam, they had practically the same issue of all of the programs being from America, but at least they used subtitles and kept the original English. Everything, EVERYTHING here is dubbed and it's just..funny. You know, it sounds like I really hate it, and I really do, but in the same way, I really love it....sort of like how you hate getting a black eye because it hurts, but secretly you love it because it makes you look like a badass. Or maybe that's just me. I guess I don't get black eyes as often as I'd like to think I do.
4)the Street Train
I absolutely cannot wait until I can drive my car again. And I do kind of hate the train, but! It is really nice to be able to go into the city and not worry about who is going to have to drive you home.
5)The community that I live in
Awwww, that's so sweet. I know. But really, in the same way that Normandy Scholars built a comradery, so too has Freiburg; not only among other Americans but also with some Germans. Only this time we're bound by the struggle of living in another language, not 5,000 pages of reading and writing. I live in a dysfunctional and wonderfully gossipy little family, bumbling along and somehow not ending up dead. Don't worry Mom and Dad, I really don't do anything that dangerous, but do know that I'm incredibly lucky for the people I've ended up with around me. I'm sad that some are having to leave so soon. Who is going to stop me now when I unknowingly step out in front of Strassenbahns? I'm going to have to start paying attention. And the dorm, oh the dorm, I think it's probably to the point that I can tell who has just come home by the sounds they make as they walk past my door. I will miss all the whistling.
I keep thinking of more and more and more things that I'd like to write here but I've decided to stop at five. I guess it's probably a good sign that when I think about Germany now my first thought isn't panzer.
25 June 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you about the community! We gots hella lucky. I loved your entry and I don't want to think about leaving ... gonna miss you so much it's ridiculous. It's a good thing I'm buying a phone card to call Freiburg a shit ton.
Jos
Post a Comment